Glasgow Polytechnic Chess club was founded in 1919. The club’s name derives from its original meeting place, the John Anderson Royal Polytechnic, which was situated on the site now occupied by Debenhams in Argyle Street. (At that time the word polytechnic meant what we now call a department store.)
Polytechnic has been present in Glasgow ever since, and we believe that it is the oldest active chess club in the city. (Glasgow Chess Club is much older but is currently inactive).
Polytechnic won the prestigious British National Club Championship in 1988. We were the first Scottish club to do so. Polytechnic thus qualified for the 1989 European Club Championship, in which we were drawn against C.S.K.A. Moscow. Our tremendously strong opponents (none graded below 2485) proved much too strong, but nevertheless it was a memorable occasion.
Polytechnic have won the Richardson Cup (the premier team competition in Scotland) 16 times, including a record-breaking run of six consecutive wins between 1999 and 2004, and four further wins since then. Polytechnic have also been the most successful club in the history of the Glasgow Chess League, having won the division 1 championship 22 times.