Apologies to all.
The planned re-opening of the Poly this Thursday (30th Sept) has been postponed. This decision has not been taken lightly. Whilst everyone is keen to get back to over-the-board chess, there are obviously concerns about the safety of returning to the close contact associated with "proper" chess. Discussions with Wellington Church are ongoing. At this stage, while we have obtained use of the larger hall in the church, this remains an area where the ventilation is uncertain, as windows cannot be opened. As yet, the Church have been unable to find a way to rectify this. In face of the "surprising" upsurge in Covid case numbers (and the touted possibility of vaccine effect reducing), and the lack of any guidance from either the Glasgow League or Chess Scotland, the Council has reluctantly decided that it is not in the position to offer a safe re-opening of the club at this stage.
We are very aware that some members may be keen to return. Many may feel it is not the place of the council to decide their own risk strategies. We are therefore planning a survey of the feelings amongst the membership as to the current situation. Meanwhile a potential date for re-opening has been pencilled in for Thursday 28th Oct. The scenario is forever changing (e.g. the escalation of cases since the opening date of 30 September was first mooted), and this remains a potential date.
In view of the above, we will look into the possibilities of renewing our more formal chess competitions online. Currently there are some issues with the online links, but we will look to improve that, and get something started. On a lighter note, it would be some compensation if we could produce a second winner of the Poly2020 Trophy before Larry Kirk can get his hands on it.